Location: Templecombe, United Kingdom
Thales people architect solutions that are relied upon to deliver operational advantage at every decisive moment throughout the mission. Defence and armed forces customers rely on us to deliver the full range of defensive systems for land, sea, and air. From early warning, to threat neutralisation, our platforms cover all levels from very short-range systems, to extended protection across the entire battle-space including Air Traffic Management, Vehicles and Tactical Systems and Missile Defence, Optronics, and Radar.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
Primary Purpose of the Role:
* To strengthen the overall Air Operations Weapons Solution architecting capability with a focus on:
+ Generation of Solution architectures which meet Customer and Business needs
+ Proposal Writing and estimating Solution costs
+ Engaging with internal engineering teams and external suppliers / subcontractors to engineer best-in-class system solutions
+ Providing advice and guidance into current projects
Key Responsibilities and Tasks:
* As part of the Systems Architects team the role will require both significant customer and internal organisation interfacing, leading a variety of technical solution definitions.
Tasks will include:
* Engage with Defence customers to understand their current and future Air C4I needs
* Work directly with business capture leads to define innovative technical solutions
* Own the solution through the capture and bid process
* Work with the Product Line Manager and Product Line Architect to define product and technical strategy
* Generation of Enterprise Architectures & Models in the context of operational environments
* Ensure detailed and accurate budgetary estimates are generated for solution architectures
* Provision of technical guidance to internal engineering teams
* Act as technical expert and reviewer at major programme reviews
* Maintain up-to-date knowledge of Systems Engineering discipline
* Must be willing to travel extensively in the UK and overseas
Skills, experience and Qualifications:
* Detailed understanding of the complete Engineering lifecycle
* Good working knowledge of DOORS for requirements management
* Appreciation of Enterprise Architecting (e.g. using MoDAF/DoDAF)
* Practical application of Scenario based modelling for Software-intensive Systems development (e.g. using Rhapsody/UML)
* Capable of demonstrating understanding of design and acceptance issues relating to software intensive systems
* Understanding of specialty engineering and how this impacts on Systems Engineering (i.e. Safety, Human Factors, ILS, Security)
* previous experience working within Defence ideally in the Air C4I domain
* A track record of successfully developing customer solutions
* Experience of working within the sales/business development function
* Educated to Degree level, with Membership of appropriate professional institution (IET, INCOSE); Chartered Engineer / INCOSE CSEP preferred.
The successful candidate will need to be able to gain SC clearance. We will consider a relocation package for the right individual.
In line with Thales’ Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.
At Thales we provide CAREERS and not only jobs. With Thales employing 65,000 employees in 56 countries our mobility policy enables thousands of employees each year to develop their careers at home and abroad, in their existing areas of expertise or by branching out into new fields. Together we believe that embracing flexibility is a smarter way of working. Great journeys start here, apply now
Employment Type: Permanent