25 Surprising Job Interview Questions
There are interview questions that are typical interview questions, questions that are difficult to answer, and then there are questions that are just, well, a bit weird, a challenge to answer and probably unexpected during most job interviews.
Glassdoor.com has gone through the thousands of interview questions shared by interviewees to come up with a list of the Top 25 Oddball Interview Questions. Some are definitely strange, most of them are unique, and some of them are a challenge to answer because there is no right or wrong response.
Top 25 Weird Interview Questions
- If you could throw a parade of any caliber through the Zappos office, what type of parade would it be?
- How lucky are you and why?
- If you were a pizza delivery man, how would you benefit from scissors?
- If you could sing one song on American Idol, what would it be?
- Are you more of a hunter or a gatherer?
- If you were on an island and could only bring three things, what would you bring?
- If you were a box of cereal, what would you be and why
- Do you believe in Bigfoot?
- Why is a tennis ball fuzzy?
- What is your least favorite thing about humanity?
- How would you use Yelp to find the number of businesses in the U.S?
- How honest are you?
- How many square feet of pizza are eaten in the U.S. each year?
- Can you instruct someone how to make an origami ‘cootie catcher’ with just words?
- If you were 80 years old, what would you tell your children?
- You’re a new addition to the crayon box, what color would you be and why?
- How does the internet work?
- If there was a movie produced about your life, who would play you and why?
- What’s the color of money?
- What was the last gift you gave someone?
- What is the funniest thing that has happened to you recently?
- How many snow shovels sold in the U.S. last year?
- It’s Thursday; we’re staffing you on a telecommunications project in Calgary, Canada on Monday. Your flight and hotel are booked; your visa is ready. What are
- Describe to me the process and benefits of wearing a seat belt.
- Have you ever been on a boat?
How to Answer a Weird Interview Question
If you are asked an interview question that seems bizarre, don’t panic. Below is a list of tips on how to handle a weird interview question.
Prepare. The best way to prepare for any interview question is to practice. Practice answering common interview questions with a friend; this will help give you confidence during the interview. Ask a friend to ask you a couple tough interview questions during your practice as well.
Stay Calm. If you are asked a question that stumps you, first take a deep breath. Maintain good posture, and look the interviewer in the eye. You want to appear calm and confident, even if you don’t feel that way.
Buy Some Time. If you draw a blank, know that it is ok to take a little pause before answering. You can also buy some time with a comment such as, “that is a very interesting question; let me think about that for a moment.”
Ask Questions. Most odd interview questions are intended to assess your critical thinking skills. Quite often, there is no “right” answer. Explaining your reasoning out loud as you respond to the question will demonstrate your thought process, even if you struggle to arrive at the answer. If you are at all confused, ask clarifying questions.
Think About the Job. Remember that interview questions are designed to determine whether or not you have the skills required for the job. As you answer a question, think about answering in such a way that demonstrates a skill or quality you have that qualifies you for the job. For example, if the interviewer asks what color best represents you, you might say, “blue, because it is a calming color, and I am good at staying calm under pressure.”
Come Back to it Later. If your mind is still blank, consider saying something like, “that is a very interesting question. May I take some time to consider it and get back to you later?” Hopefully, after a little time, you will be able to answer the question.
By Alison Doyle. Alison has been the job search expert for About.com since 1998.
Alison Doyle is one of the industry’s most highly-regarded career experts, with all the know-how to help you with job searching, interview skills, resumes, cover letters, personal branding, social networking, leaving your job, employment trends, and even more!